Time management is the process of organizing and planning how to divide your time between specific activities. Good time management enables you to work smarter ; not harder so that you get more work done in less time even when time is tight and pressure is high. Failing to manage your time damages your effectiveness and causes stress. Time management refers to the way that you organize and plan how long you spend on specific activities. There are enormous benefits of Time Management,
- Greater productivity and efficiency.
- A better professional reputation.
- Less stress.
- Increased opportunities for advancement.
- Greater opportunities to achieve important life and career goals.
- Failing to manage your time effectively can have some very undesirable consequences:
- Missed deadlines.
- Inefficient work flow.
- Poor work quality.
- A poor professional reputation and a stalled career.
- Higher stress levels.
When you learn and maintain good time management skills you’ll find freedom from deadline pressure and from stress in general. You’ll be more productive, procrastinate less and have more time to relax which helps further decrease stress and anxiety.
There are certain practices which can boost up your Time Management Skills ,
- Make a list: The thing about making lists is that you actually have to use them. You may want to set reminders on your phone and computer. Lists really do work if you use them. One of the most important things is to make sure your list feels achievable. Prioritize your needs and plan accordingly. You might even want to make three lists — personal, home and work.
- Set deadlines: Set a deadline and try your best to stick to it. Set your deadline a few days before the task absolutely has to be done. This allows for the possibility that other things will get in the way, but also allow for you still to get the task done.
- Delegate responsibilities: The truth of the matter is that no matter how good we are we can’t do everything. Sometimes we take on more than we can handle. Delegation is not a sign of weakness, but a sign of intelligence. Find competent and reliable people to share some of the responsibilities. It will allow you to be less stressed and more productive.
- Avoid procrastination: Procrastination is one of the things that badly affects productivity. It can result in wasting essential time and energy. It could be a major problem in both your career and your personal life.
- Start early: Most of the successful men and women have one thing in common, they start their day early as it gives them time to sit, think and plan. When you get up early, you are more calm, creative and clear-headed. As the day progresses, your energy levels starts going down which affects your productivity and you may not perform as well.
The final point about time management is the concept of balance. The most important thing that you can instill in your life is balance and moderation. The main purpose of learning and practicing time management skills is to enhance and improve the overall quality of your life.